There’s no need to feel nervous about an extraction, we use a numbing cream on the gum & a local anaesthetic to ensure you won’t feel any pain during the procedure.
Extractions at Aloe Vera Dental
An extraction is when a tooth is removed because of one of the following reasons:
- Trauma or decay that causes the tooth to be unrestorable.
- Crowding. When the teeth are very close together and may need to be removed before orthodontics (braces) are used to straighten the teeth.
- Infection. Caused by bacteria reaching the centre or root of the tooth.
- Periodontal (gum) disease. An infection of the gum and bone that support the teeth. Usually caused by poor oral health/cleaning.
What happens when I have a tooth removed?
Before the tooth is extracted, the dentist will use a numbing cream on the gum and a local anaesthetic to ensure you don’t feel any pain during the procedure. You may feel some pushing or pulling before a sterile pack is placed over the area to help stop any bleeding.
What happens after?
The dentist will give you some instructions to follow to aid healing and to prevent any infection occurring. This includes:
- Taking your usual pain killers such as paracetamol or Ibuprofen.
- Rinsing with salt water (48 hours after treatment). Use one teaspoon of salt in warm water after eating and before bed.
- Avoid smoking for at least 24 hrs. Smoking can cause Dry socket which is very painful and prevents the area from healing.
- Avoid strenuous exercise/activity as this can cause the blood clot to dislodge and start bleeding.