Mouth cancer can form when mutations occur in the cells of the mouth, lips & tongue. If you are worried you may be showing any cancerous symptoms please pay us a visit here at Aloe Vera Dental Studio, Chelmsford.
What causes mouth cancer?
Mouth cancer can form when mutations occur in the cells of the mouth, lips & tongue .The accumulation of abnormal cells can then form a tumour which can spread to other parts of the body. The most common symptoms of mouth cancer are:
- sore mouth ulcers that don’t heal within several weeks
- unexplained, persistent lumps in the mouth that don’t go away
- unexplained, persistent lumps in the lymph glands in the neck that don’t go away
- unexplained looseness of teeth, or sockets that don’t heal after extractions
- unexplained, persistent numbness or an odd feeling on the lip or tongue
- sometimes, white or red patches on the lining of the mouth or tongue – these can be early signs of cancer, so they should also be investigated
- changes in speech, such as a lisp
Factors that can increase your risk of mouth cancer:
- Smoking & tobacco use of any kind.
- Drinking alcohol heavily
- Excessive sun exposure to the lips
- A sexually transmitted virus called Human Papilloma(HPV)
- A weakened immune system.
If mouth cancer is caught early, relatively minor surgery can be used, which has a very high chance of curing the cancer so it never comes back. That’s why you should report any changes in your mouth to your dentist and doctor immediately. Here at Aloe Vera Dental Studio, we check for any lumps, bumps or patches at every dental check-up.